R&D Senior Hardware Engineer - Medical Device
Posted on: September 9, 2020
Requisition ID: 2340
Job Title: R&D Senior Hardware Engineer - Medical Device
Job Country: United States (US)
Here at Avanos Medical, we passionately believe in three
- Making a difference in our products, services and offers, never
ceasing to fight for groundbreaking solutions in everything we
- Making a difference in how we work and collaborate, constantly
nurturing our nimble culture of innovation;
- Having an impact on the healthcare challenges we all face, and
the lives of people and communities around the world.
At Avanos you will find an environment that strives to be
independent and different, one that supports and inspires you to
excel and to help change what medical devices can deliver, now and
in the future.
Avanos is a medical device company focused on delivering clinically
superior breakthrough solutions that will help patients get back to
the things that matter. We are committed to creating the next
generation of innovative healthcare solutions which will address
our most important healthcare needs, such as reducing the use of
opioids while helping patients move from surgery to recovery.
Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, we develop, manufacture and
market recognized brands in more than 90 countries. Avanos Medical
is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol
AVNS. For more information, visit www.avanos.com.
Avanos is building a new, high performing R&D team in our
Alpharetta, Georgia location focused on our On-Q & Enhanced
Recovery Technology Platform. This team supports our $170+MM Acute
Pain global business unit which is critical to Avanos' long-term
growth. The On-Q & Enhanced Recovery technology platform is focused
on products & programs to provide post-surgical pain relief as well
as provide solutions to address injury recovery &
Our products include the On-Q Pain Relief System, ambIT Infusion
Pump & IV Therapy Products, and Game Ready hot & cold compression
The New Product Development Senior Hardware Engineer is a key
member of the On-Q & Enhanced Recovery team and will play a key
technical leadership role in the development of new medical
devices, working cross functionally to combine new health
technologies with a product line that has a proven, clinical track
record of treating acute, post-surgical pain.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Program leader, external partners, and sub teams
to design innovative medical device products.
- Translate customer and marketing requirements into product and
system specifications which can be successfully verified, validated
- In coordination with internal and external development
partners, prepare hardware/system module specifications and
- Under minimal direction, generate and update technical
documentation such as invention disclosures, formalized use cases,
detailed design descriptions, system specifications, hazards
analyses, engineering study reports, test plans & procedures,
validation plans and reports, and related documentation supporting
hardware system development to known standards.
- Work to define and create collateral for new connected device
platforms; (HW concepts study, Hardware Architecture, Schematic
Design, PCB Layout, initial board bring up and test, including
driver bring up).
- Provide schematic design & capture - Analog/Digital, low power,
wireless, miniaturization, sensors, high speed design.
- Create resource and schedule estimates.
- Establish guidelines for and participate in the review of
product engineering artifacts (e.g., specifications, designs, test
descriptions, implementations, tests, records, reports,
- Mentor less senior team members and peer review product
artifacts including requirement specifications, design
specifications, code, etc.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with partners
in the Quality and Operations organizations to work to ensure
smooth and timely product introductions.
- Develop a close working relationship with colleagues in the
sales and marketing organizations to understand the market space
and to translate that knowledge to product requirements.
- Participate in design and execution of early clinical
feasibility studies to better appreciate design / technical
trade-offs and use case constraints.
- Spend time in the field with physicians and key opinion leaders
to develop and maintain close ties with on-the-ground happenings in
- Establish and maintain working knowledge of technology trends
and how they are or can be made relevant to our business. Partner
with external vendors to access future technology roadmaps.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Systems
Engineering, Computer Science or similar field.
- 8+ years of experience in electronics hardware development,
with direct Medical Device experience.
- Broad experience in a variety of processors and tradeoffs: FPGA
(Field Programmable Gate Array), Microprocessors, PC platforms,
- Strong technical understanding of software, firmware and
hardware interaction up to the OS level.
- Deep working knowledge of IEC 60601, ISO 62304, ISO13485
development processes and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to get results through others not under
direct supervision including external vendors.
- Flexibility to work both in a Stage gate/Waterfall and an Agile
development model environment.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, problem solving,
and communication skills (both written and oral).
- Passion for new product development, willingness to learn new
- Ability to be an individual contributor and team
- Ability to travel up to 20-25% at times.
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering,
Computer Science or similar field;
- Experience with infusion pumps development;
- Working knowledge of standards related to medical electrical
equipment containing safety critical elements;
- Experience leading risk management activities (Hazards
Analysis, UFMEA, DFMEA, etc.);
- Project management experience (understanding cross-functional
- Familiarity of requirement management tools such as JAMA, agile
development tools such as Azure DevOps or JIRA.
Avanos Medical is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
any other characteristic protected by law. If you are a current
employee of Avanos, please apply here .
Join us at Avanos
Join us and you can make a difference in our products, solutions
and our culture. Most of all, you can make a difference in the
lives, people, and communities around the world.
Make your career count
Our commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of others
begins with our employees - through a comprehensive and competitive
range of benefits. We provide more than just a salary - our Total
Rewards package encompasses everything you receive as an employee;
your pay, health care benefits, retirement plans and work/life
free onsite gym - onsite cafeteria - 401(k) + 6% match - immediate
vesting - benefits on day 1 - uncapped sales commissions - HQ
region voted 'best place to live' by USA Today
Keywords: Avanos, Alpharetta , R&D Senior Hardware Engineer - Medical Device, Healthcare , Alpharetta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!