Open Innovation & Technology Scouting - Principal Scientist
Posted on: December 4, 2019
Requisition ID: 1172
Job Title: Open Innovation & Technology Scouting - Principal
Job Country: United States (US)
Here at Avanos Medical, we passionately believe in three
- Making a difference in our products, services and offers, never
ceasing to fight for ground-breaking solutions in everything we
- Making a difference in how we work and collaborate, constantly
nurturing our nimble, fast-moving innovation culture;
- Having an impact on the healthcare challenges we all face, and
the lives of people and communities around the world.
At Avanos you will find an environment that thrives to be
independent and different, one that supports and inspires you to
excel and to help change what medical devices can deliver, now and
Avanos is a medical device company focused on delivering clinically
superior breakthrough solutions that will help patients get back to
the things that matter. We are committed to creating the next
generation of innovative healthcare solutions which will address
our most important healthcare needs, such as reducing the use of
opioids while helping patients move from surgery to recovery.
Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, we develop, manufacture and
market recognized brands in more than 90 countries. Avanos Medical
is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol
AVNS. For more information, visit www.avanos.com.
Avanos is placing significant emphasis on the use of open
innovation and technology scouting to advance the commercialization
of new technology to deliver breakthrough medical device solutions
to improve the quality of life and help get patients back to the
things that matter.
This new position will support the enterprise in advancing our open
innovation efforts as well as supporting the technical diligence
for our continued business development and licensing initiatives.
This highly cross-functional role, reporting to the Senior VP of
R&D and Clinical Affairs, will play a critical role in the
long-term growth of the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead Open Innovation in areas/technologies that support Avanos'
mission to deliver breakthrough medical device solutions that
improve patient's quality of life. These areas include acute and
chronic pain management, digestive health and respiratory
- Identify opportunities for new strategic investments. Work with
the BU /franchises business and technical leadership to set
strategic priorities and scope.
- Lead the assessment of strategic candidates - technologies and
partners - to identify the opportunity, develop a proposal for
impact to Avanos' business, and reach a recommendation for a path
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key opinion
leaders, scientists, innovators and entrepreneurs in both academic
and business settings.
- Work closely with the Franchises to support the sourcing
evaluation and execution of external agreements for partnerships
and technology in-licensing that can accelerate R&D
- Be a key interface at Universities with the goal of identifying
leading institutions in targeted fields and commissioning specific
Research for R&D or evaluating their potential offerings;
specifically leading scope definition, budgets, timelines, and IP
conditions with colleagues at Avanos.
- Work closely with Strategy and Business Development personnel
to support pre-diligence activities for mergers & acquisition
- Lead & execute technology landscaping including analysis of IP
and clinical literature leveraging 3rd parties as needed to support
- Lead the study and evaluation of the disease state and
mechanism of actions to deepen the understanding of specific
M&A target areas and companies.
- Execute 1:1 interviews with physicians, key opinion leaders and
scientists to build a great understanding of specific M&A
target areas and companies and their associated products.
- Support the development of an investment thesis, associated
financial proforma and risk analysis for target M&A
opportunities. Assist in the communication of this information to
senior leadership to support investment decisions for the
- Assist with coordination of reimbursement, regulatory, clinical
and other associated key pre-diligence and diligence related
- Project manage M&A target pre-diligence activity as
- Bachelor's degree, Engineering or Science Discipline
- 8+ years Research, Strategy and Product Development
- Strong Data Management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong people and process management skills
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to travel up to 20%, some international
- Candidates with a Master's Degree (MS or MBA) or PhD.
- Candidates with previous experience executing technical
pre-diligence or diligence.
- Candidates with previous experience in R&D or related
technical development teams
- Medical Device Experience a very strong plus
Avanos Medical is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
any other characteristic protected by law. If you are a current
employee of Avanos, please apply here .
Join us at Avanos
Join us and you can make a difference in our products, solutions
and our culture. Most of all, you can make a difference in the
lives, people, and communities around the world.
Make your career count
Our commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of others
begins with our employees - through a comprehensive and competitive
range of benefits. We provide more than just a salary - our Total
Rewards package encompasses everything you receive as an employee;
your pay, health care benefits, retirement plans and work/life
free onsite gym - onsite cafeteria - 401(k) + 6% match - immediate
vesting - benefits on day 1 - uncapped sales commissions - HQ
region voted 'best place to live' by USA Today
Keywords: Avanos, Alpharetta , Open Innovation & Technology Scouting - Principal Scientist, IT / Software / Systems , Alpharetta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!