R&D Principal Embedded Software Engineer - Medical Device
Posted on: September 9, 2020
Requisition ID: 2305
Job Title: R&D Principal Embedded Software Engineer - Medical
Job Country: United States (US)
Here at Avanos Medical, we passionately believe in three
- Making a difference in our products, services and offers, never
ceasing to fight for groundbreaking solutions in everything we
- Making a difference in how we work and collaborate, constantly
nurturing our nimble culture of innovation;
- Having an impact on the healthcare challenges we all face, and
the lives of people and communities around the world.
At Avanos you will find an environment that strives to be
independent and different, one that supports and inspires you to
excel and to help change what medical devices can deliver, now and
in the future.
Avanos is a medical device company focused on delivering clinically
superior breakthrough solutions that will help patients get back to
the things that matter. We are committed to creating the next
generation of innovative healthcare solutions which will address
our most important healthcare needs, such as reducing the use of
opioids while helping patients move from surgery to recovery.
Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, we develop, manufacture and
market recognized brands in more than 90 countries. Avanos Medical
is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol
AVNS. For more information, visit www.avanos.com.
Avanos is building a new, high performing R&D team in our
Alpharetta, Georgia location focused on our On-Q & Enhanced
Recovery Technology Platform. This team supports our $170+MM Acute
Pain global business unit which is critical to Avanos' long-term
growth. The On-Q & Enhanced Recovery technology platform is focused
on products & programs to provide post-surgical pain relief as well
as provide solutions to address injury recovery &
Our products include the On-Q Pain Relief System, ambIT Infusion
Pump & IV Therapy Products, and Game Ready hot & cold compression
The New Product Development Principal Embedded Software Engineer is
a key member of the On-Q & Enhanced Recovery team and will act as a
technical expert to combine new, digital health technologies with a
product line that has a proven, clinical track record of treating
acute, post-surgical pain.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Program leader, external partners, and
cross-functional teams to design innovative medical device
- Translate customer and marketing requirements into product and
software specifications which can be successfully verified,
validated and launched.
- Work to define and create collateral for new device platforms
(SW/FW concepts study, Software Architecture).
- Plan all software development resources (internal or external)
and provide schedule estimates.
- Under minimal direction, update software specifications,
designs, test descriptions, hazard analysis, test procedures, and
related documentation supporting system development to known
- Establish guidelines and participate in the review of product
software engineering artifacts (e.g., specifications, design
descriptions, tests, records, reports, etc.)
- Design and Implement code using C/C++ and scripting languages
like Python, with Object oriented design methodologies
- Oversee code review and unit testing; implement automated
testing where appropriate
- Develop software and firmware module specifications
- Generate software test plans, protocols, and reports
- Apply version control best practices using tools like Git,
- Mentor less senior team members and peer review software
artifacts including requirement specifications, design
specifications, code, etc.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with partners
in the Quality and Operations organizations to work to ensure
smooth and timely product introductions.
- Develop a close working relationship with colleagues in the
sales and marketing organizations to understand the market space
and to translate that knowledge to software system
- Spend time in the field with key opinion leaders to develop and
maintain close ties with on-the-ground happenings in our
- Establish and maintain working knowledge of technology trends
and how they are or can be made relevant to our business. Partner
with external vendors to access future technology roadmaps.
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science,
Electrical Engineering or similar field.
- 10+ years of experience in embedded software development, with
direct Medical Device experience.
- Broad experience in embedded system development including FPGA
(Field Programmable Gate Array) and/or microcontroller-based
designs with network connectivity.
- Strong technical understanding of software, firmware and
hardware interactions, including RTOS (Real Time Operating
- Experience reviewing, porting, and integrating third-party
code, and using application frameworks.
- Hands on experience with standard lab equipment such as
oscilloscope, logic analyzer, JTAG and hardware debugging platforms
- Knowledge of hardware interfaces I2C, SPI, USB, UART,
- Knowledge of device peripherals such as EEPROMS, high speed
- Strong proficiency in C/C++ and Python.
- Flexibility to work both in a Stage gate/Waterfall and an Agile
development model environment.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, problem solving,
and communication skills (both written and oral).
- Working knowledge and application of IEC 62304, ISO 60601, ISO
13485 development processes and standards (or similar).
- Passion for new product development, willingness to learn new
- Ability to travel up to 20-25% at times, some
- Master's degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science,
Electrical Engineering or similar field;
- Ability to be a technical leader;
- Familiarity of requirement management tools such as JAMA, and
agile development tools such as Azure DevOps or JIRA;
- Well versed in Design Control, Risk Analysis, Change Control,
and problem solving (CAPA).
Avanos Medical is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
any other characteristic protected by law. If you are a current
employee of Avanos, please apply here .
Join us at Avanos
Join us and you can make a difference in our products, solutions
and our culture. Most of all, you can make a difference in the
lives, people, and communities around the world.
Make your career count
Our commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of others
begins with our employees - through a comprehensive and competitive
range of benefits. We provide more than just a salary - our Total
Rewards package encompasses everything you receive as an employee;
your pay, health care benefits, retirement plans and work/life
free onsite gym - onsite cafeteria - 401(k) + 6% match - immediate
vesting - benefits on day 1 - uncapped sales commissions- HQ region
voted 'best place to live' by USA Today
Keywords: Avanos, Alpharetta , R&D Principal Embedded Software Engineer - Medical Device, IT / Software / Systems , Alpharetta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!