Company: Emory Healthcare
Posted on: May 3, 2021
At Emory Healthcare, we integrate science and caring to change
the face of health care. Our team members are courageous
individuals who are willing to challenge the status quo and help
find solutions to complex problems. Were empowered to influence
change for, and with, our patients, their families, the community
and each other.
As one of the leading academic medical systems, were eager to
share what we learn with hospitals around the country, and the
world. Weve got the backing, knowledge, experience and permission
to lead the way in developing new and better approaches to
preventing and treating disease, and our patients get treatments
years before anyone else.
Were defining a new standard of care for humankind. Are YOU
ready to join us?
- Independently assesses, coordinates, and implements a timely,
safe patient discharge plan to the appropriate level of care.
- Participates in interdisciplinary approach to patient care
management. Provides emotional support and psychosocial counseling
- Acknowledges and appropriately prioritizes referrals from
interdisciplinary team members, patients, and families, with
initial chart documentation entered within eight business hours of
receipt of consult.
- Attends and actively participates in Triads and
interdisciplinary team meetings in order to screen for high risk
patients, obtain and share information, identify appropriate length
of stay per DRG, advance the patient's plan of care, identify and
take action to resolve barriers and to coordinate safe and
appropriate discharge to the proper level of care within the
appropriate time frame.
- Maintains focus on the provision of quality service in a rapid
and efficient manner in order to transition patients to the
appropriate level of care within the time frame of the target
length of stay.
- Updates the clinical team regarding discharge destination, and
date and time of anticipated discharge.
- Attends and actively participates in Traid Data Meetings and
Team Meetings in order to identify and address system trends and
barriers to the delivery of efficient patient care.
- Collaborates with insurance case managers and community care
providers, and initiates referrals to appropriate community
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid
and private payer regulations and processes.
- Maintains broad knowledge of resources and options for patients
available within all levels of care: facilitates efficient access
and movement of patient across levels of care, and coordinates
inter-facility transfer of patients to appropriate level of care.
Ensures that a safe and timely discharge is attained, with proper
documentation and verbal reports shared with receiving facilities
or agencies. Respects the confidentiality of all patient
information and conforms to hospital/departmental policies on the
handling and disclosure of patient information.
- Acts as a responsible steward of department's patient care
funds, exploring all viable options prior to requesting use of
- Assesses patients and members of their support system in order
to identify potential needs, to determine appropriate level of care
for discharge planning purposes and to identify necessary
- Evaluates family, home environment and financial situation in
order to develop safe and viable plan of care.
- Provides patient and family counseling and education regarding
discharge planning, and community resources.
- Provides supportive counseling for patients, families and
significant others who are experiencing anxiety or stress due to
illness, injury or physical limitations.
- Takes an active role in the coordination and facilitation of
goal-oriented family meetings.
- Evaluates, coordinates and acts in accordance with current laws
and hospital policies in reporting targeted populations (suspected
child/disabled adult/elder abuse or neglect).
- Demonstrates a high level of initiative and performs as a
self-starter in daily activities. Efficiently covers for colleagues
as requested, and thoroughly conveys patient care status and plan
of care in order to assure continuity and uninterrupted service
upon colleagues' return.
- Thoroughly prepares covering colleagues in advance of planned
- Demonstrates the skills necessary to nurture teambuilding and
growth in establishing and maintaining a cooperative relationship
with professionals, physicians, patients, family members and
community agency representatives. Assumes responsibility for
seeking guidance in areas of question by consulting supervisor and
colleagues as necessary.
- Appropriately escalates cases. Acts in a professional, caring,
customer service focused manner in all interactions with patients,
families, peers, medical team members and community agency
- Supports and participates in multidisciplinary patient/family
education and care planning with the entire healthcare team.
- Develops educational materials and programs to meet the needs
of assigned patient population, and to meet the education needs of
the medical team and social work peers.
- In collaboration with supervisor, pursues professional
development opportunities through local, regional and national
- Participates as a member of professional organizations in order
to establish resource network, and to maintain knowledge of current
practices, trends and developments. Acts as a professional resource
for colleagues within and outside the organization. Provides
education to the community as needed.
- Documents in an accurate, timely and thorough manner in
accordance with departmental policy. Records assessment, ongoing
contacts, and final discharge plan including level of care to which
patient is being transferred. Completes all necessary paperwork and
computer documentation in order to Assures continuity of care,
accurate reimbursement to the organization, and compliance with
- Obtains and communicates information through timely and
efficient use of available computer applications (Healthquest,
EeMR, Groupwise, Social Services Lotus Notes Database and the
- Reviews and interprets Length of Stay Data Reports and Patient
Satisfaction Survey Reports with intent of improving service
delivery and meeting organization goals. Completes additional
assignments/projects as directed by the department leaders.
- Master's of Social Work degree from an accredited school of
social work.One year of Social Work experience required, experience
in an acute care setting preferred.
- Positions in this classification require license or license
eligibility in the state of Georgia (LMSW).
- Knowledge of computer software applications.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Medium): 20-50 lbs; 0-33% of the work day
(occasionally); 11-25 lbs, 34-66% of the workday (frequently);
01-10 lbs, 67-100% of the workday (constantly); Lifting 50 lbs max;
Carrying of objects up to 25 lbs; Occasional to frequent standing &
walking, Occasional sitting, Close eye work (computers, typing,
reading, writing), Physical demands may vary depending on assigned
work area and work tasks. ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Factors affecting
environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area
and tasks. Environmental exposures include, but are not limited to:
Blood-borne pathogen exposure Bio-hazardous waste
Chemicals/gases/fumes/vapors Communicable diseases Electrical
shock, Floor Surfaces, Hot/Cold Temperatures, Indoor/Outdoor
conditions, Latex, Lighting, Patient care/handling injuries,
Radiation, Shift work, Travel may be required. Use of personal
protective equipment, including respirators, environmental
conditions may vary depending on assigned work area and work
Keywords: Emory Healthcare, Alpharetta , Social Worker, Other , alpharetta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!