Lifeguard II - Outdoor
Company: YMCA Metro Atlanta
Posted on: June 6, 2021
As a thought-leader and best-in-class provider in education,
wellness, youth development, and community-building, The YMCA of
Metro Atlanta is one of the oldest, most nimble and essential
nonprofits in Atlanta. Mission-bound to serve, we are an
organization designed to meet all people where, how and when they
need us. In times of peace, we are a catalyst for connection; in
times of crisis, a source of comfort and security. Join us as we
carry out our commitment to positively impact lives and communities
across the state.
The opportunities to serve are vast, and we're looking for a
diverse mix of people, who share our values of CARING, HONESTY,
RESPECT, and RESPONSIBILITY, to join us and do their best work.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our
people, our members, and our partners. We are fully focused on
equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual
orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other
wonderful characteristics that make us different.
Nature and Scope:
The Lifeguard II primary role is to assist the Aquatic Director
in supervising the pool area. The Lifeguard II is an experienced
YMCA aquatic staff employee. He/she has succeeded in the swim
lesson, lifeguard program, and has an understanding of how both
programs function. They will assist other aquatic staff by sharing
their knowledge of policy and procedures. The Lifeguard II does not
act in a supervisory role but rather in supportive role. They must
present themselves in an exemplary manner while on duty, and have a
positive, enthusiastic attitude about the YMCA.
- Minimum age of 18
- Minimum 2 years of experience in lifeguarding.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard Certification, CPR, AED and First Aid
certifications. YMCA Lifeguard instructor preferred.
- YMCA Leader Certificate (obtained within 90 days)
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment,
including in the water and anywhere in the zone of responsibility,
with or without reasonable accommodations. See and observe all
sections of an assigned zone of responsibility, with or without
- Demonstrated ability to recognize swimmers in need of
assistance. Demonstrated ability to recognize, respond and remedy
- Ability to work with diverse populations and ages. Ability to
serve as a positive role model and provide constructive
- Assists with maintaining a safe aquatic area(s), which may
include providing work direction to staff, providing real time
feedback and noting suggestions and comments for their supervisor's
- Coordinates lifeguard placement and rotations during shift to
ensure efficient guarding and safety.
- May open or close the indoor and/or outdoor pool, support in
pool chemistry, and other support of the Aquatics Director as
- May act as a lifeguard during shift modeling standards and
expectations throughout shift.
- Serves as first level contact responding and documenting
incidents, which may occur when other lifeguard staff need
- Provides quality customer service to members and
- Assists with implementation of in-service training
- Attend monthly in-service trainings.
YMCA Leadership Competencies (Leader):
- Developing Self & Others: Develops self and supports others
(e.g, staff, members, program participants), both formally and
informally, to achieve their highest potential.
- Emotional Maturity: Demonstrates ability to understand and
manage emotions effectively in all situations.
- Functional Expertise: Executes superior technical skills for
- Innovation: Creates and implements new and relevant approaches
and activities that improve and expand the Y's work and impact in
Effect on End Result:
The effectiveness of this position is primarily measured by the
stated satisfaction of members and ensuring a safe, clean and
controlled environment in accordance with the Metro Atlanta YMCA
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
Physically perform all skills required of a Lifeguard. Hear
noises and distress signals in the Aquatic environment, remain
alert with no lapses of consciousness and be able to see and
observe all areas of responsibility.
Ed Isakson / Alpharetta YMCA
Keywords: YMCA Metro Atlanta, Alpharetta , Lifeguard II - Outdoor, Other , Alpharetta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!