What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest
strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in
the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our
competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do
business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are
looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live
the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from
The Senior Developer creates the overall structure and workflow
of a software solution and is responsible for leading and/or
handling the development of one to multiple components. The Senior
Developer will work with the Architect to build the appropriate
architecture to support the application. The Senior Developer
contributes to the development, maintenance, and enhancement of
business applications by providing specialized technical and
business knowledge to the team. Under the guidance of a Team Lead
or Manager, collaborates with Business Analysts, key stakeholders,
other IT professionals to define detailed customer requirements and
system interfaces, assess available technology, and develop and
present technologies. Recommends and supports technical coding
standards and practices. Stays current on emerging
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform requirements analysis to create technical
specifications to support business unit needs.
- Responsible for the specifications, development, testing and
maintenance of business application adhering to departmental
standards, policies and procedures.
- Thoroughly test all new and enhanced applications. Use Change
Control to schedule and track all system changes
- Creates and maintains appropriate documentation.
- Must be able to trouble-shoot production issues both during and
outside of traditional work hours.
- Serve as the solution architect for your assigned business
functions under the guidance of the Architect.
- Demonstrate a high-level knowledge of legacy systems, data
structures/usage and primary systems interfaces based on
appropriately written system specifications.
- Provide mentoring and assistance to other team members.
- Design business solutions that are secure and scalable.
- Implements and maintains the necessary controls and procedures
to cost-effectively protect information systems assets from
intentional or inadvertent modification, disclosure, or
destruction. Provides guidance and direction for the protection of
information systems assets to other areas as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to lead and coach.
- Ability to plan and facilitate meetings.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative
- Ability to communicate highly technical information in a
business friendly manner.
- Familiar with Agile Framework.
- Technical understanding of all hardware, server O/S, and
application connectivity between servers, the internet and other
integrated technologies as it relates to applications.
- Software knowledge base should include Java, Groovy, SQL,
Hibernate, Java Script, XML, JSON, REST, and TCP Communication
- Advanced college degree in Computer Science, Information
Technology, or Business or related work
- 5+ years of relevant general Information Technology experience
- Experience in the Insurance Industry a plus.
Please note: Markel has a phased approach for re-entry into our
buildings that is designed to balance the ongoing health, safety,
and well-being of our employees with operational considerations and
regulatory/ governmental requirements and recommendations. Remote
working is still the preferred method of working for most positions
at this time. Effective 6/1/21 we will implement a return to work
strategy that allows for three days in the office every other week.
We will update with further developments.
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that
diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing
people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation.
We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate
around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the
world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back
is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this
philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our
open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as
they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and
global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the
Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation
between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a
better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates
proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further
success to Markel.