R&D Senior Mechanical Engineer - New Product Development (3062)
Company: Avanos Medical, Inc.
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Requisition ID: 3062
Job Title: R&D Senior Mechanical Engineer - New Product
Job Country: United States (US)
Here at Avanos Medical, we passionately believe in three
- Making a difference in our products, services and offers, never
ceasing to fight for groundbreaking solutions in everything we
- Making a difference in how we work and collaborate, constantly
nurturing our nimble culture of innovation;
- Having an impact on the healthcare challenges we all face, and
the lives of people and communities around the world.
At Avanos you will find an environment that strives to be
independent and different, one that supports and inspires you to
excel and to help change what medical devices can deliver, now and
in the future.
Avanos is a medical device company focused on delivering
clinically superior breakthrough solutions that will help patients
get back to the things that matter. We are committed to creating
the next generation of innovative healthcare solutions which will
address our most important healthcare needs, such as reducing the
use of opioids while helping patients move from surgery to
recovery. Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, we develop,
manufacture and market recognized brands in more than 90 countries.
Avanos Medical is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the
ticker symbol AVNS. For more information, visit www.avanos.com.
Avanos is building a new, high performing R&D team in our
Alpharetta, Georgia location focused on our On-Q & Enhanced
Recovery Technology Platform. This team supports our Pain global
business unit which is critical to Avanos' long-term growth. The
On-Q & Enhanced Recovery technology platform is focused on products
& programs to provide post-surgical pain relief as well as provide
solutions to address injury recovery & rehabilitation.
Our products include the On-Q Pain Relief System, ambIT Infusion
Pump & IV Therapy Products, and Game Ready hot & cold compression
The New Product Development Senior Mechanical Engineer is a key
member of the On-Q & Enhanced Recovery team, and will play a key
technical leadership role in the development of new medical
devices, working cross functionally to define product improvements
and updates for existing devices and accessories, with the goal of
combining new health technologies with a product line that has a
proven, clinical track record of treating acute, post-surgical
The purpose of the Senior Mechanical Engineer is to support the
full development lifecycle of new products from concept through
product realization. The incumbent will also assist in technical
aspects of new product commercialization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Program leader, cross-functional team leads,
external partners and sub teams to design innovative Pain
Management products, accessories and assemblies.
- Provide technical expertise and implement engineering standards
and scientific analysis principles to initiate and develop product
- Compile, organize and interpret technical data;
- Create contingency plans to mitigate technical risks, and
perform troubleshooting and defect analysis;
- Design for manufacturability and develop assembly and tooling
strategies for components;
- Define testing and equipment requirements to support all device
requirements including bench testing, lab testing, equipment
installations, design verification and validations testing;
- Under minimal direction, generate and update technical
documentation such as invention disclosures, formalized use cases,
product requirements, specifications, engineering study reports,
test plans & procedures, verification plans and reports,
traceability matrix and related documentation supporting product
development to known standards.
- Conduct and document technical reviews;
- Apply a working knowledge of scientific principles in designing
& developing both products & process for manufacturability &
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to less experienced
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with partners
in the Quality and Operations organizations to work to ensure
smooth and timely product introductions.
- Develop a close working relationship with colleagues in the
sales and marketing organizations to understand the market space
and to translate that knowledge to product requirements.
- Participate in design and execution of early clinical
feasibility studies to better appreciate design / technical
trade-offs and use case constraints.
- Spend time in the field with physicians and key opinion leaders
to develop and maintain close ties with on-the-ground happenings in
- Establish and maintain working knowledge of technology trends
and how they are or can be made relevant to our business. Partner
with external vendors to access future technology roadmaps.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical
Engineering or similar field;
- 7+ years (5+ with advanced degree) of experience in mechanical
engineering, with direct Medical Device experience;
- Experience generating technical documentation (product
requirements, specifications, engineering reports, test plans &
procedures, V&V plans and reports) while ensuring traceability
back to source documents and rationales;
- Experience with solid modeling techniques;
- Deep working knowledge of medical device design control
processes & related standards;
- Experience leading risk management activities (Hazards
Analysis, DFMEA, etc.);
- Demonstrated ability to get results through others not under
direct supervision including external vendors;
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, problem solving,
and communication skills (both written and oral);
- Passion for new product development, willingness to learn new
- Ability to be an individual contributor and team leader;
- Ability to travel up to 20-25% at times, some
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical
Engineering, or similar field;
- Strong experience with infusion pumps development, including
peristaltic and elastomeric pumps;
- Experience with the design of plastic injected components and
low to medium volume manufacturing tooling development;
- Experience with design and development of electrical medical
devices enclosures and/or housings;
- Strong SolidWorks proficiency;
- Knowledge of statistics and use in medical device V&V;
- Design For Six Sigma experience;
- Project management experience (understanding cross-functional
- Experience managing 3rd party design & manufacturing partners
to develop and deliver medical devices.
Avanos Medical is an equal opportunity employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation,
gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. If
you are a current employee of Avanos, please apply here .
Join us at Avanos
Join us and you can make a difference in our products, solutions
and our culture. Most of all, you can make a difference in the
lives, people, and communities around the world.
Make your career count
Our commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of others
begins with our employees - through a comprehensive and competitive
range of benefits. We provide more than just a salary - our Total
Rewards package encompasses everything you receive as an employee;
your pay, health care benefits, retirement plans and work/life
Avanos offers a generous 401(k) employer match of 100% of each
pretax dollar you contribute on the first 4% and 50% of the next 2%
of pay contributed with immediate vesting.
free onsite gym | onsite cafeteria | benefits on day 1 |
uncapped sales commissions | HQ region voted 'best place to live'
by USA Today
Keywords: Avanos Medical, Inc., Alpharetta , R&D Senior Mechanical Engineer - New Product Development (3062), Other , Alpharetta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!