Distinguished Data Scientist
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Job # 577469
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology and
communications services, transforming the way we connect across the
globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared
ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to
learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create
within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and
you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What You'll Be Doing...
In this technical lead role, you will use your experience in
machine learning, time series forecasting and optimization for
implementation of AI in commercial applications. You will serve as
an expert in business forecasting and optimization.
You will work closely with data science and engineering teams and
the entire data scientist community at Verizon in proactively
designing and developing AI capabilities. These AI capabilities
will include predictive, prescriptive and adaptive applications for
all predictions and inferences at Verizon. Models will typically
get implemented on premise, in cloud and/or on the edge and in both
real-time and batch mode depending upon the business
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our
data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI
will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company.
At $130B+ in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to
design and shape AI at scale in the Telco industry. With our
leadership in bringing 5G network nationwide, the opportunity for
AI will only grow exponentially in going from enabling billions of
predictions to possibly trillions of predictions that are automated
and real-time. Therefore, it will be critical that you possess
previous experience in research and validation of AI and data
- Partner with key business stakeholders to develop AI strategy
and roadmap and develop and execute plans to deliver business
- Independently manage portfolios of AI projects and design,
develop, and deliver AI solutions from E2E
- Develop the next generation of AI that drives innovation,
accurate business forecasting, lower operating expenses and
increased efficiency, and business growth.
- Operate as an expert both within Verizon and externally within
- Serve as a technical thought leader and advisor to the
organization and trusted advisor to our business partners.
- Stay informed on the latest advancements in AI and technology
space, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing
these to our specific problem space.
- Drive innovation by introducing state of the art AI techniques
and technology to the team.
- Actively research and develop new techniques/solutions to solve
business problems and accelerate AI Industrialization.
- Help create an environment where our scientists are engaged in
pioneering work that can be shared with the world in a number of
ways like open source, publications, etc.
- Help establish best practices and governance routines to ensure
adherence to model management policies, peer reviews, and
compliance to our policy standards for privacy, ethics, and
- Mentor and coach junior data scientists in their career
development and technical knowledge and skills.
- Help attract, recruit and retain top data science and AI talent
and build a diverse team with an inclusive culture.
What We're Looking For...
You are a master at analyzing big data. You thrive in an
environment where enormous volumes of data are generated at rapid
speed. You're a creative problem solver who loves to explore, and
uncover the issues. You are decisive. You are phenomenal at
influencing up, down, and across groups, and you take satisfaction
in mentoring others. Communicating what you've uncovered in a way
that can be easily understood by others is one of your
You'll Need To Have
- In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that
includes work from home and assigned office days set by your
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in scaling AI in areas like forecasting,
optimization, operations, etc.
- Manipulating and analyzing data from different sources (cloud
and on premise), at different scales (big data and small data), and
of different formats.
- Knowledge of a variety of AI/ML models, frameworks (keras,
pytorch, etc.) and libraries/packages/apis (e.g., scikit).
- Experience developing models and algorithms independently,
writing your own code, developing strategy for algorithmic
experimentation, and deploying in production.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor's/Master's degree or PHD in mathematics, statistics,
physics, engineering, computer science, or economics.
- Ability to explain both the code and the underlying math used
in algorithms/models. Coding proficiency with demonstrated
expertise in python, java, R, etc.
- Communication & cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our
employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity
makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive
environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of
belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and
empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check
out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal
requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).
Job Family: TEC
Business Unit: COMMN
Keywords: Verizon, Alpharetta , Distinguished Data Scientist, Other , Alpharetta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!